Ready to make your purchase? Use secure payment methods like PayPal, Bpay or your credit card and never pay by direct bank deposits, money transfers or other unusual methods (such as Bitcoin), as you're unlikely to get your money back if you've paid a scammer.
- Check to make sure it is a reputable site with a padlock symbol and ‘https’ at the start (not http).
- Use secure payment methods like PayPal, BPay or your credit card, as there are often dispute resolution processes if customers have concerns.
- If paying by PayPal, select the ‘payment for goods/services’ option. If a seller instructs you to make the payment ‘to friends and family’ rather than ‘payment for goods’, this violates PayPal’s policies and voids the buyer protections.
- If using BPay, use a legitimate biller code and customer reference number and don't pay by direct transfers to bank accounts.
- Never send your bank or credit card details via email.
- Don’t click on a link received via SMS to pay and never provide payment details over SMS.
- Avoid doing any financial transactions when connected to public Wi-Fi.
- Check your bank statements regularly for unusual transactions.