Don't send any money
Don’t send money to anyone you have met online – no matter how genuine they might seem.
If you’ve started sending money, stop immediately – you will never have the money repaid.
If any amounts are sent back to you, this could be from another victim’s account and you might be acting as a money mule and involved in a crime called money laundering.
If you suspect you’ve been scammed
If you’ve been the victim of a romance scam, you need to take the following steps straight away. There is a high probability that if the scammer has your details they will sell them online to other scammers, who may target you again for another scam.
- Change your mobile number.
- Change your email address/es.
- Install anti-virus software on all your devices and use it to scan for malware and viruses.
- Update your passwords. Make sure you have a different password for every account and where possible use two-factor authentication.
- Report it to ReportCyber to help warn others in the community.
- Find out more about help available.