What is two-factor authentication?
Two-factor authentication (2FA) is a procedure that typically requires a combination of something a user knows (pin, secret question) and something a user has (cards, fingerprint) in order to access a program or operating system.
Why is it important to turn it on?
Using 2FA to access your favourite programs provides enhanced security to traditional usernames and passwords. The multiple layers of authentication increase confidence that the user requesting access is actually who they claim to be, specifically you.
Where do I turn it on?
Where to turn on 2FA within a program depends on each program. However, the steps are universally simple and somewhat similar. Icons and language may differ slightly depending on the program, or device you are using.
Turning on 2FA for Instagram on your computer
By setting up 2FA for Instagram, you'll be asked to enter a special login code or to confirm your login attempts each time you try to access Instagram from a computer or mobile device Instagram doesn’t recognise. Instagram will also send you alerts whenever someone tries to log in to your account.
1. Sign in to Instagram on your web browser
2. Click the Profile icon in the top right corner (next to the heart icon)
3. Select Settings from the dropdown options
4. From the options on the left side of your screen, click Privacy and Security
5. Scroll down and click Edit Two-Factor Authentication
6. You will be given the choice of 2FA using Text Message or an Authentication App
The following steps will demonstrate the Text Message option
7. Instagram will confirm you want to turn on 2FA. Click Turn on.
8. Enter your mobile number you wish to use to receive 2FA text messages and click Next
9. Enter the confirmation code sent to the mobile number you entered in the previous step and click Done
10. Once you click Next, Recovery Codes will be displayed in case the code on the authenticator does not work. Copy these and store them in a safe place you will remember.
Turning on 2FA for Instagram on your mobile devices
1. Open the Instagram app from your Home screen
2. Tap the person icon in the bottom right hand corner
3. Tap the three horizontal lines in the top right hand corner
4. Tap Settings
5. Tap Security
6. Tap Two-Factor Authentication
7. Tap Get Started
8. Follow the on-screen instructions to set-up two-factor authentication using the Authenticator app or Text message
Instagram will suggest you use a Duo two- factor authenticator app. See the end of this guide for more information on authentication apps
9. Enter the six-digit Instagram key or code generated by the authenticator app or sent to your phone
10. A confirmation window will appear once two-factor authentication has been turned on
11. Once you click Next, Recovery Codes will be displayed in case the code on the authenticator does not work. Copy these and store them in a safe place you will remember
Third party 2FA apps
If you would like to use a third party 2FA app, there are many available. Most are free of charge and effective with Facebook. The recommendation is to do your research and find a solution that’s right for you. Below are some examples of 2FA apps currently available.