What is two-factor authentication?
Two-factor authentication (2FA) is a procedure that typically requires a combination of something a user knows (pin, secret question) and something a user has (cards, fingerprint) in order to access a program or operating system.
Why is it important to turn it on?
Using 2FA to access your favourite programs provides enhanced security to traditional usernames and passwords. The multiple layers of authentication increase confidence that the user requesting access is actually who they claim to be, specifically you.
Where do I turn it on?
Where to turn on 2FA within a program depends on each program. However, the steps are universally simple and somewhat similar. Icons and language may differ slightly depending on the program, or device you are using.
Setting up 2FA for Twitter on your computer
By setting up 2FA for Twitter, the app will send a code to your phone that you must first input before gaining access to your account.
- Open Twitter on your computer and log in
- Click the More bubble in the bottom left next to Tweet
- Click Settings and privacy
- Click Account in the menu on the left
- Click Security
- Click Login verification
- Click Start then follow the on-screen instructions.
You may be required to re-enter your password for security reasons.
- Click Send code after entering your phone number
- Enter the six-digit code you receive on your phone and click Submit
Turning on 2FA for Twitter on your mobile devices
NOTE: If you have turned on 2FA for Twitter using your desktop computer, you may still need to turn it on for your mobile devices.
- Open the Twitter app from your Home screen
- Tap the Profile bubble on the top left of your screen
- Tap Settings and privacy
- Tap Account
- Tap Security
- Tap Login verification
- Tap the toggle next to Login verification
- Tap Confirm
- Then follow the onscreen instructions
- Enter the six-digit code that you’re sent
- Tap Next
You’ll now be required to enter a six-digit code every time you log out and sign back into Twitter.
Third party 2FA apps
If you would like to use a third party 2FA app, there are many available. Most are free of charge and effective with Twitter. The recommendation is to do your research and find a solution that’s right for you. Below are some examples of 2FA apps currently available.