This Safer Internet Day, remember online safety starts with the security of your own devices and accounts.
The ACSC’s new national cyber safety campaign warns cybercriminals never switch off and are determined to steal money and data from Australians.
There are simple things you can do that make a big difference in helping to protect yourself – and others – from online threats, including:
- Setting up automatic software updates and backing up your data regularly
- Using multi-factor authentication on your programs and devices
- Replacing passwords with unique passphrases on every valuable account
- Managing administrator accounts on Windows and Mac
- Checking your social media privacy settings and restricting the amount of information you share online.
And remember, if you become a victim of cybercrime, help is always available.
Cybercrime can be reported through ReportCyber, which is managed by the ACSC on behalf of law enforcement agencies, providing a single online portal for individuals and businesses to report cyber incidents.
Reporting cybercrime not only helps the person making the report but also helps ACSC build a threat picture which helps us keep everyone more secure.