The Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC) recommends the following steps to secure IP-enabled cameras:
- change the passwords and other default settings on IP-enabled cameras before first use. Follow reputable manufacturers’ instructions from official websites. Learn how to create and remember strong passwords.
- turn IP-enabled cameras off when not in use.
- turn off remote access when it’s not required.
- make sure your home and business wireless networks are properly secured. Learn how to protect your network.
- ensure you regularly update software and operating systems, and apply patches on all of your devices, including smartphones and tablets. Learn about updates.
- follow all instructions when installing and configuring IP-enabled camera settings, according to advice from official manufacturers’ sources.