Steps to prevent ransomware from affecting your systems:
Minimise visits to unknown websites and avoid being enticed by clickbait.
- Look for the padlock symbol and ‘https’ in the browser address bar when surfing the net.
- Install and regularly update antivirus and anti-ransomware software.
- Install a firewall to stop traffic from untrustworthy sources getting onto your device.
- Keep your operating system and software up to date with the latest versions; this should be done automatically where possible.
- Back up your computers and phones regularly, and choose automatic back-ups where possible. Keep back-ups separate from your computer, on separate devices or use a cloud service.
- Disable macros in Microsoft Office.
- Have an incident response plan ready to dramatically reduce the damage inflicted, ensure a quick recovery and safeguard against future incidents.
- Adopt multiple layers of defence against malware; no single mitigation will protect you. You can develop multiple strategies that will improve your resilience and detect malware without disrupting the day-to-day running of your organisation.