Content written for

Individuals & families
Small & medium business

Someone has stolen my identity. What should I do?

Scammers can use your personal information to access your bank accounts, online government services, social media accounts, or steal your superannuation.

If someone has stolen your personal or business identity, you should alert your bank, service providers and any online accounts you think could have been hacked.

You should also contact these agencies to report it, get help, and protect yourself from further harm.

Who should I contact?

ASD's ACSC ReportCyber

Report cybercrimes, security incidents and abuse through ReportCyber. Your report helps to disrupt crime operations and makes Australia more secure.

National Anti-Scam Centre - Scamwatch

Report online scams to National Anti-Scam Centre - Scamwatch. Your report helps to warn people about current identity theft scams and disrupt them where possible.


Contact IDCARE if your information is at risk from a data breach. They’re a national identity and cyber support service for individuals and organisations.

Australian Taxation Office

Contact the ATO if someone has stolen your personal or business identity. You must report all tax-related security issues to the ATO.

Australian Securities and Investments Commission

Contact ASIC to report financial misconduct, such as superannuation and crypto-asset scams. ASIC the national corporate regulator.

Need more support?

For help with all types of threats, visit our where to get help page. 

If you still need help, call our hotline 24/7 on 1300 CYBER1 (1300 292 371).

More information

Was this information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!


Tell us why this information was helpful and we’ll work on making more pages like it